Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Two Guys Worth Mentioning

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Pocketime's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    322
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I dont know how many of the my fellow drummers listen to Urban Gospel music, but if as a drummer you dont, you have know idea what you are missing! There are some really incredibly talented drummers in this genre of music. Not to mention the positive message that this music conveys. Maybe thats a different forum. Anyway, two guys worth checking out both play with Kirk Franklin. One is Terry Baker and the other is Bobby Sparks. In this musical environment it really takes some special skill and discipline. Usually the groups are large and the pieces of music have rather complex orchestrations. Not to mention all of the accents that involve the choirs and vocalists. So, if you havent checked out any of this genre check out folks like Daryl Coley, Yolanda Adams, Kirk Franklin, Byron Cage, Dr. Bobby Brown and a host of others. The groove in these and so many other ensembles like them is incredible and of course not to be made secondary the great message of His grace to gift us all as drummers with our abilities and talents no matter what level we're at does come from Him. "Keep it in the pocket" PT.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member drum4fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    451
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Pocketime for the urban gospel music recommendations. I have seen several articles in Modern Drummer where the featured artists talked about urban gospel music and drumming. I will definitely check out CDs by your recommended artists.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are many incredible gospel drummers [which would also include gospel/funk/r&b]...
    Gospel drummers Rock!
    [But then again, that is whom they were founded on, right? forums ]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 02, 2004 11:17 AM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member CapCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Have either of you gents checked out Fred Hammond? Check out his new DVD, live in Chicago..
    The rhthym section kills..Marvin McQuitty on drums and the man, Maurice Fitzgerald on bass.
    The DVD is very nice, I love the way his band puts in a little more spice on the live arrangements..you guys should check this one out..
    I have been toying with the idea of giving Gospel Drummers more of a web presence..a slick site with vids, and all...also, with a message board like this one..Kind of like HOD..

    Capcity

  5. #5
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, there are some amazing Gospel drummers. One guy I met told me about a drum jam some years ago in the LA area. He said that they would set up two kits and just have at it. He also told me that he jammed with Vinnie at one of these things. Has anybody else ever heard of this?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Pocketime's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    322
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that setting up a website similar to this to highlight gospel drummers is really excellent idea. It is true that there is some tremendous talent in this genre that goes virtually unoticed. I am also suprised at the young age of many of these players. Some of them are extremely accomplished.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member CapCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pocketime, I am really thinking about doing a site..I have hooked up with some accomplished web people, and hope to get something going..it will be done well.
    Speaking about these gospel drummers going unnoticed, I think it is because black gospel is such a niche genre..there is no MTV play, no VH1 play. You might catch a gospel artist on BET with Dr. Bobby Jones..the exposure is limited, IMO.
    To speak of the talent of these drummers,
    Who do you think is winning the Guitar Center Drum Off EVERY year? Gospel drummers, man, almost every one.
    I also have awesome news for lovers of gospel/funk drumming: Darren Metz, a drummer out a Philadelphia and I think a previous visitor of this board, is coming out with a documentary DVD called Return of the Funky Drummers..I corresponded with him and he told me many of the cats on this project are gospel/church drummers..
    I bet this project is going to KILL!! I am psyched!
    There is some more info here about Darren and a little blurb about his project : forums Darren Metz & Phunky Drummers

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Pocketime's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2003
    Posts
    322
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with you whole heatedly! Two years ago a guy named Chris Coleman won the drum off here in Cleveland at the rock hall. Hands down he was the best of the pack. He also went on to win the national that year. He is an associate pastor here in Cleveland and a drummer second. This guy is really a monster. Hes got it all! Speed, power, techinque, finese, versatility, and musicality. His stage presence was just perfect. Such humility I have never witnessed. He also did a 10 minute jam with Tony Royster that was also spectacular. "Keep It In The Pocket" PT.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah. I remember in 1991 or thereabouts, a drum student playing me some gospel. It was a gospel choir and band,with a reverend something or other, and the drummer was gerald heyward. I was so impressed with heywards playing, I knew it was just a matter of time before he got his name out. I love anything to do with gospel, soul, R&B. Haven't heard enough gospel though, more of soul.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 04, 2004 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •